Spicy Bacon Kale Sauté
- 1 large bunch curly kale, chopped
- 1/2 package of bacon chopped to 1 in squares (We love organic uncurred bacon for it’s beautiful flavor.)
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper cut to 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 medium white or red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked white or brown basamati rice
- 2 tbsp sweet and hot sauce (or make your own with 2 tbsp honey, 1 tsp oil, and red pepper flakes)
- *Salt and pepper to taste*
Combine olive oil, bacon, onion, pepper, and celery in a large wok over medium/ medium-high heat. Cook bacon down to render the fat and soften the onion and pepper. Add kale on top of the already hot mixture and cover for 5 minutes (the trick is to warm the kale without wilting it). Remove lid and stir vegetables until everything is well incorporated. Remove from heat and plate right away.
Mix your pre-cooked rice with the sweet and hot sauce, adding salt and pepper to taste. Place one cup of rice in the middle of the plate and surround it with the kale mix.
Skip the rice if you want a low carb option or you could add a fried egg or mashed cauliflower in place of rice.